Chicken in a Spicy Red Sauce
A wonderful chicken dish full of flavor and texture! Serve over rice
Write a review
Amount Per Serving
Calories from Fat 397
% Daily Value *
Total Fat 44g
Saturated Fat 8g
Trans Fat 0g
Polyunsaturated Fat 9g
Monounsaturated Fat 23g
Total Carbohydrates 26g
Dietary Fiber 3g
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
- 2 ¼ lb chicken pieces
- 1 tsp salt or to taste
- Fresh ground pepper
- 7 good size cloves garlic peeled and coarsely chopped
- 1 2inch piece fresh ginger, peeled and coarsely chopped
- ¼ cup vegetable oil
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 2 inch stick cinnamon
- 6 cardamom pods
- 5 whole cloves
- 3 dried hot red chilies
- ½ tsp ground turmeric
- 1/8 to ¼ tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 ½ cups canned or fresh tomatoes, chopped small
- 12oz potatoes peeled and cut into ½ inch chunks
- Sprinkle the chicken pieces lightly with salt and black pepper and set aside.
- Put the garlic and ginger into the container of a blender, along with 3 tablespoons water and blend to a paste.
- Put the oil in a wide nonstick pan and set over medium high heat. When the oil is hot, put in the cumin seeds.
- Wait for 10 seconds and put in the cinnamon stick, cardamom pods, cloves and red chiles.
- Stir for a few seconds until the large spices begin to turn darker.
- Now put in the garlic and ginger.
- Stir in fry for another minute.
- Now put in the chopped tomatoes, potatoes, 1 1/4 cups water and 1 teaspoon salt Bring to a boil. Cover, turn heart to low and simmer gently for 25- 30 minutes or until the chicken and potatoes are tender.
- You can use any part of the chicken but the thigh cut up is lovely. If using a pair of breasts – cut then into 4 to 6 pieces.
Mary Opfer Nutrition https://maryopfernutrition.com/